There are a variety of ways to install a WordPress theme. This tutorial steps you through the process when you have downloaded the theme as a zip file (perhaps you purchased a premium theme), ready to upload onto your website. Here are the:
Simple Steps to install a WordPress Theme when you have the Theme as a Zip File
- Backup your website (before any major change to your site)!
- In WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance | Themes
- Click on “Add New”
- Click on “upload” [10/20/16: “Upload Theme”]. Find the file on your computer and select it.
- Click on “Install Now”. Theme will install. See installation progress in lower left of screen.
- Theme should install successfully. Congratulations!
- Activate it if you’d like to make it the live theme. Or click on “Live Preview” if you’d like to see what it looks likes without taking it to live.
- Make sure to check that it looks OK. Especially menus and widgets!
Slideshow of the Steps to install a WordPress Theme when you have the Theme as a Zip File
If you prefer to watch a video on how to do it, here you go:
Here’s a video on how to install a WordPress Theme when you have the theme as a zip file