There are a variety of ways to install a WordPress theme. This tutorial steps you through the process when you have downloaded the theme as a zip file (perhaps you purchased a premium theme), ready to upload onto your website. Here are the:
Simple Steps to install a WordPress Theme when you have the Theme as a Zip File
- Backup your website (before any major change to your site)!
- In WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance | Themes
- Click on “Add New”
- Click on “upload” [10/20/16: “Upload Theme”]. Find the file on your computer and select it.
- Click on “Install Now”. Theme will install. See installation progress in lower left of screen.
- Theme should install successfully. Congratulations!
- Activate it if you’d like to make it the live theme. Or click on “Live Preview” if you’d like to see what it looks likes without taking it to live.
- Make sure to check that it looks OK. Especially menus and widgets!
Slideshow of the Steps to install a WordPress Theme when you have the Theme as a Zip File
If you prefer to watch a video on how to do it, here you go:
Here’s a video on how to install a WordPress Theme when you have the theme as a zip file
Do you need assistance installing a new WordPress theme? We can help. Our webmaster and WordPress support services are very affordable. Contact us today about helping you to make your WordPress website shine.
Do you need help with your WordPress website?
WordPress is what we do!